Postdoctoral Students – 92144
Corporation: AA-Accelerator Tech-Used Physics
Berkeley Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Accelerator Technological know-how & Utilized Physics Division (ATAP, https://atap.lbl.gov/) has an speedy and enjoyable opening for a Postdoctoral Students to be a part of the team
Berkeley Heart for Magnet Technologies (BCMT, https://bcmt.lbl.gov/) has built and created vital components of R&D magnet methods for science and engineering systems, offering crucial underpinnings for a lot of features of the U.S. Section of Electrical power (DOE, https://www.energy.gov/science/business-science) Office environment of Science mission. We are an interdivisional corporation managed jointly by the ATAP and the Engineering Divisions of LBNL. With its unique integration of accelerator physicists and magnet researchers, magnet structure engineers, and fabrication teams, the centre fosters quick progress in the development, and reputable shipping, of new magnet technologies.
In this part, you will conduct function within the BCMT as a critical member of a staff consisting of physicists, engineers, technologists, and pupils. You will be advancing our comprehending of state-of-the-art superconducting accelerator magnets by aiding carry out R&D and innovative characterization of superconducting magnet cables.
What You Will Do:
- Perform original research independently and in collaborations.
- Carry out mechanical characterization measurements and non-damaging knowledge acquisition on superconducting cables fabricated at LBNL.
- Put together metallographic samples and get cross-segment photographs employing optical microscopy.
- Operate impression investigation scripts using ImageJ, FIJI, or equivalent.
- Assess and correlate results from unique characterization procedures.
- Put together extracted strand samples, including heat procedure, for residual resistance ratio measurements.
- Conduct home temperature and cryogenic temperature electrical measurements.
- Help facts investigation and reporting of the electrical measurements.
- Perform intently with undertaking lead to recognize essential jobs and develop results on program.
- Determine and create new procedures, process and/or facility advancements relevant to cable fabrication and conductor characterization.
- Existing benefits at collaboration conferences, seminars, workshops and conferences and publish in refereed journals.
- Mentor learners as wanted.
What is Expected:
- Ph.D. diploma in Physics, Materials Science, or relevant subjects, preferably with significant knowledge in used superconductivity and cryogenics.
- Demonstrated palms-on encounter in getting ready metallographic samples for microscopy, operating furnace for heat-treating samples in a retort.
- Excellent operating know-how of programming in ImageJ / FIJI and VBA in Excel.
- Shown publication history in a applicable area and proficiency in presenting and publishing scientific results.
- Meticulousness to the dot.
- Superb verbal and composed communication and prioritization/corporation expertise.
- Means to get the job done independently with minimal supervision and to adhere to challenge program.
- Capacity to work successfully in a crew surroundings that incorporates engineers, scientific employees, professionals, and college students.
Added Preferred Skills:
- Fingers-on practical experience with optical and scanning electron microscopy.
- Practical experience in dealing with cryogens and in working cryocooler and vacuum units.
- Information of innovative knowledge analysis and visualization strategies, like device learning and neural network-centered algorithms is remarkably attractive.
The posting shall remain open up right up until the posture is stuffed.
- This is a whole-time, 2 calendar year postdoctoral appointment with the likelihood of renewal dependent on satisfactory job performance, continuing availability of money and ongoing operational wants. You will have to have fewer than 3 several years of paid postdoctoral working experience. Income for Postdoctoral positions is dependent on many years of experience put up-diploma.
- This situation is represented by a union for collective bargaining reasons.
- Income will be predetermined based on postdoctoral action premiums.
- This position may be topic to a background test. Any convictions will be evaluated to establish if they right relate to the duties and necessities of the position. Possessing a conviction historical past will not instantly disqualify an applicant from getting regarded as for work.
- Range, equity, and inclusion are main values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be thoroughly realized by college, pupils, and team who share our dedication to these values. Profitable candidates for our school positions will reveal evidence of a commitment to advancing equity and inclusion.
- Do the job will be mostly carried out at Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Lab, 1 Cyclotron Road, Berkeley, CA.
How To Apply
Apply instantly on line at http://22.214.171.124/counter.php?id=194673 and follow the on-line recommendations to full the software method.
Equivalent Employment Prospect: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Chance/Affirmative Motion Employer. All competent candidates will get thing to consider for work without regard to race, colour, religion, intercourse, sexual orientation, gender identity, nationwide origin, incapacity, age, or protected veteran position. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay out Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision below 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click here (https://www.dol.gov/organizations/ofccp/posters) to look at the poster and nutritional supplement: “Equivalent Employment Prospect is the Law.”
Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Laboratory encourages programs from girls, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently contemplating scientific research careers.