April 7, 2021, 8:36 AM HST
* Updated April 7, 8:37 AM
The Hawaiʻi Division of Agriculture is now accepting proposals for the Grow Hawaiʻi Agriculture Initiative 2021, an initiative to immediately scale up industrial agricultural generation together with the generation of price-additional products and solutions with the intention to improve the contribution of agriculture to the state’s gross domestic solution.
The GDP is the complete marketplace value of remaining merchandise and expert services generated that also serves as an indicator of economic well being.
Less than the Improve Hawaiʻi Initiative, HDOA expects to award about six proposals from commercial agricultural enterprises for up to $250,000 or some alternate combination deemed most useful to the condition.
This request is for nearby farmers, ranchers and other operators with confirmed track document of accomplishment but in have to have of urgent funding to increase their commercial production and to create working versions that can efficiently add to progress of agriculture GDP by utilizing a single or far more of the methods as follows:
- Growth: Expanding the dimension, range and/or scope of functions.
- Enter Chain Enhancement: Enhance generation as a result of addressing worries in supply/expense of inputs to an agricultural operation.
- Technology: Increasing output effectiveness through use of new and rising technologies.
- Source Chain Enhancement: Address the supply chain bottlenecks that plague Hawaii agriculture, i.e. deficiency of infrastructure (cold storage, processing, distribution difficulties), institution of cooperative ventures, and many others.
- Worth-included Items: Increase the worth-included probable either at their palms or by that of an additional business enterprise entity.
Facts on the ask for for proposals may perhaps be observed at the Hawai‘i Point out Procurement internet site. Applications/proposals need to be emailed to [email protected] and obtained by 12:00 p.m., HST, May 3, 2021. Project resources are expected to be offered in July 2021.
“The purpose of this initiative is to fund assignments by proven commercial enterprises that can appreciably go the needle for Hawaiʻi agriculture,” explained Phyllis Shimabukuro-Geiser, chairperson of the Hawaiʻi Board of Agriculture. “We know that with some funding assistance, local agricultural organizations can get over some of the roadblocks and limitations that obstacle financial expansion in agriculture, particularly through this COVID-19 pandemic environment.”
The scope of products and services and expectations of this proposal are to:
- Employ business strategy straight away to grow or scale-up business agricultural manufacturing and contribute to development of agriculture GDP through the phrase of deal.
- Develop affordable and commonly acknowledged company metrics (e.g. output, income, revenue, labor count, assets, etc.) to gauge progress, milestones attained and closing outcomes of the undertaking.
- History and compile noteworthy experiences (extraordinary development, results and/or problems encountered).
- Fulfill with the State upon request to report on the project’s standing, development and other challenges or troubles that could occur in the course of study course of do the job.
- Sustain proper accounting strategies and tactics suitable to the State, such as, sustaining books, records, documents and other evidence related to project’s overall performance.
- Supply for the State’s acceptance a progress report, progress fiscal report, closing report and closing fiscal report at specified situations.
This initiative is a collaboration with the Higher education of Tropical Agriculture and Human Sources, College of Hawaiʻi at Mānoa. Cash for this application totaling $1.5 million in had been furnished by the State Legislature last session.
Queries pertaining to the application method might addressed to HDOA’s Agricultural Development Division via email at: [email protected]