RICHMOND, VA. (WRIC) — Gov. Ralph Northam introduced on Wednesday night time that he has signed another 14 expenditures into law.
Northam had until eventually midnight tonight to act on legislation passed all through the 2020 Standard Assembly distinctive session.
“These new laws will raise assistance for Virginia families and enterprises, guarantee our youngsters and teachers can safely and securely return to classrooms, advance equity, and tackle systemic racism,” Northam reported in a organized assertion. “I am really proud of the significant development we have manufactured to enact laws as unparalleled as the troubles we are dealing with.”
Right here are the expenditures Northam signed:
- H.B. 1889: This bill extends eviction protections for renters encountering money hardship thanks to the coronavirus pandemic through July 1, 2022.
- H.B. 1930: This legislation prohibits general public schools and universities from asking about a person’s criminal history in the course of the application course of action, as well as prohibits them from denying admission based on legal historical past.
- H.B.1980: The invoice establishes the “Enslaved Ancestors University Obtain Scholarship and Memorial Program” to support the family members of enslaved individuals who labored at Virginia schools.
- H.B. 2081: The new law prohibits men and women carrying firearms inside of 40 feet of a polling spot or electoral board assembly to certify the benefits of an election.
- H.B. 2075: This renames U.S. Route 1 as “Emancipation Freeway.” The roadway is currently named “Jefferson Davis Highway” in diverse areas of Virginia.
- H.B. 2132: This new legislation bans the “gay panic” protection.
- H.B. 2137: The law will demand employers to present compensated sick go away to property health and fitness staff and also prohibits companies from retaliating towards employees who use go away.
- H.B. 2161 and S.B. 1410: This will prohibit discrimination for community accommodations, employment and housing since of a person’s armed service status.
- H.B. 2332: The invoice establishes the Commonwealth Well being Reinsurance Software wich is meant to broaden entry to wellbeing treatment and lessen insurance plan premiums.
- S.B. 1122: This repeals the remaining provisions of the Habitual Offender Act. This will allow extra than 13,000 folks to receive driver’s licenses.
- S.B. 1138: The invoice updates a number of felony laws connected to individuals dwelling with HIV and other sexually transmitted infections.
- S.B. 1261: After enacted, each civil scenario will have an appeal of ideal and expands the Virginia Court docket of Appeals from 11 to 17 judges.
- S.B. 1303: This invoice calls for all school divisions to provide in-person learning regular with general public health suggestions, in accordance with the constitutional authority of college divisions and whilst prioritizing the protection of students, teachers and team.
- S.B. 1310, H.B. 2032 and H.B. 1864: This can make guaranteed domestic workers are covered by worker protections, good pay out rules and the Virginia Human Legal rights Act.
You can find a full checklist of laws signed by the governor on the web listed here.