About the Foundation
Gordon and Betty Moore founded the basis to create good results for long term generations. In pursuit of that eyesight, we foster route-breaking scientific discovery, environmental conservation, affected individual treatment improvements and preservation of the distinctive character of the San Francisco Bay Space.
Guided by this eyesight and the Assertion of Founders’ Intent, each day we attempt to make a substantial and beneficial impression on the world. We tackle massive, important troubles at a scale in which we make major and measurable impacts.
- Headquartered in Palo Alto, CA
- $7 billion in belongings
- Annual foundation budget of about $300 million
- About 100 staff members
- 4 system spots: Environmental Conservation, Science, Patient Treatment, and the San Francisco Bay Spot
About the Science Program
The Science System proactively chooses large-impression parts in which the basis can make a measurable difference and selects the most effective grantees to progress this study frontier. The software would make close to $100 million for every calendar year in grants for simple science Existing initiatives in the Science System include Curiosity-Pushed Science, Emergent Phenomena in Quantum Units, and Symbiosis in Aquatic Methods, accompanied by a lively portfolio of standalone grants that contain initiatives in astronomy, basic physics at the laboratory scale, producing an accelerator on a chip, and strengthening science policy. For additional information and facts about the Science Application and its initiatives, make sure you pay a visit to: Science Plan
The basis seeks an attained scientist with broad understanding of experimental physics to assist layout and apply a new initiative: The Moore Experimental Physics Investigators.
This initiative in simple science aims to advance the frontier in experimental physics by supporting outstanding scientists at a significant stage of their occupations in U.S. universities. (The Initiative is aimed at tenure track school at U.S. universities who are additional than 5 but a lot less than 10 years from their initial appointment). More than the next eleven several years, the new initiative will decide on and help superb particular person investigators, and supply them with obtain to an instrumentation fund, to help cutting-edge research in experimental physics and enhance scientific knowing of the normal planet. In addition, the basis will host convocations and interactions among the investigators to unleash creativeness by way of exchanging concepts and fostering collaboration that will lead to insightful experiments and new discoveries. The initiative has also been deliberately created to include things like incentives for investigators to boost range in physics, astrophysics, and geophysics.
The initiative will start in 2021, award the to start with cohort of five-12 months investigator grants in 2022, and award a complete of 7 cohorts of investigator grants for an combination of $190.5 million in excess of eleven yrs. A evaluation of the initiative will be conducted in the sixth calendar year to contemplate regardless of whether to increase this initiative.
The Method Director, performing right with the Main Program Officer for Science, Robert Kirshner, will be accountable for developing this new initiative.
Despite the fact that the over-all framework of the Moore Investigators has been permitted by the foundation’s Board of Trustees, the Application Director will have the possibility to shape the plan by doing the job with the Chief Application Officer to:
- Style and design and execute outreach to the varied communities active in experimental physics.
- Established up collection methods and advisory groups.
- Build norms for fellowship finances procedures.
- Generate an annual convocation to foster imaginative and helpful conversation among the the investigators.
- Administer an instrumentation fund to accelerate progress in experimental physics.
- Build measurement protocols to assess progressand adapt as needed.
- Do the job with a smaller personnel to achieve superb outcomes outside the house the foundation and a supportive surroundings inside.
The perfect applicant will have demonstrated capability to:
- Handle a modest staff in a successful and constructive way.
- Interact with other individuals inside of and outside the house the basis in a diplomatic way, with powerful interpersonal techniques, and fantastic written and verbal conversation.
- Retain a flexible and good technique to challenge solving in a collaborative staff setting.
- Construct reliable relationships and delegate when ideal.
- Consider critically to establish, define, and assess troubles.
- Offer sensible and progressive solutions as real-time problems occur.
- Deal with priorities and targets for assignments as a result of superb task administration capabilities.
- Connect successfully in varied media, configurations, and audiences—written, verbal, one particular-on-one particular, team shows, with senior leadership, and with the board of trustees.
- Help and endorse the basis and your colleagues by means of determination to maximizing the foundation’s concerns of Diversity, Fairness and Inclusion.
The perfect candidate will have:
- A Ph.D. or equivalent in Physics or a intently similar field.
- Major practical experience as a study scientist.
- Wide knowledge of physics and adjoining fields this sort of as astrophysics and geophysics.
- Demonstrated commitment to broadening participation in science by underrepresented groups.
- Fantastic interpersonal and communications expertise.
- Administration knowledge in an academic or grant-building placing.
- Demonstrated capability to style and employ huge jobs.
- Shown ability to set practical ambitions and goals, understand from proof, and adapt to make improvements to.
- Capacity to travel as required to attain the plans of the Moore Experimental Physics Investigator initiative.
The perfect applicant will also demonstrate the foundation characteristics, which explain how we strive to do our perform with just about every other and our associates:
- Dedicated to Excellence
- Open up and Truthful
- Humble and Self-Aware
Payment involves a competitive base salary and an outstanding offer of overall health, retirement financial savings and other benefits.
Applicants have to be legally authorized to function in the United States. Pursuant to the San Francisco Good Possibility Ordinance, we will look at for work capable applicants with criminal histories in a way steady with the prerequisites of the ordinance.
The Gordon and Betty Moore Basis is an equivalent option employer and welcomes a numerous pool of candidates for this lookup. We are fully commited to fostering a lifestyle of inclusion and welcome individuals with numerous backgrounds and encounters to implement.
All correspondence will stay private.
Martha Montag Brown & Associates, LLC has been retained for this research. Fascinated and capable candidates must utilize by sending a address letter, resume and wage requirements by e mail to [email protected].