Postdoctoral Scholars – 92144
Group: AA-Accelerator Tech-Used Physics
Berkeley Lab’s (LBNL, https://www.lbl.gov/) Accelerator Engineering & Applied Physics Division (ATAP, https://atap.lbl.gov/) has an quick and remarkable opening for a Postdoctoral Students to be a part of the staff
Berkeley Heart for Magnet Technologies (BCMT, https://bcmt.lbl.gov/) has designed and crafted important factors of R&D magnet techniques for science and engineering plans, offering very important underpinnings for numerous aspects of the U.S. Section of Electricity (DOE, https://www.energy.gov/science/office-science) Workplace of Science mission. We are an interdivisional firm managed jointly by the ATAP and the Engineering Divisions of LBNL. With its special integration of accelerator physicists and magnet researchers, magnet layout engineers, and fabrication teams, the center fosters rapid progress in the enhancement, and trustworthy delivery, of new magnet technological innovation.
In this role, you will execute get the job done within just the BCMT as a vital member of a group consisting of physicists, engineers, technologists, and pupils. You will be advancing our comprehending of state-of-the-art superconducting accelerator magnets by aiding conduct R&D and innovative characterization of superconducting magnet cables.
What You Will Do:
- Perform initial investigation independently and in collaborations.
- Execute mechanical characterization measurements and non-damaging data acquisition on superconducting cables fabricated at LBNL.
- Put together metallographic samples and purchase cross-area illustrations or photos employing optical microscopy.
- Run impression investigation scripts utilizing ImageJ, FIJI, or equal.
- Analyze and correlate success from various characterization procedures.
- Put together extracted strand samples, which includes warmth therapy, for residual resistance ratio measurements.
- Accomplish area temperature and cryogenic temperature electrical measurements.
- Aid info analysis and reporting of the electrical measurements.
- Perform closely with activity direct to identify critical duties and develop final results on program.
- Detect and produce new strategies, course of action and/or facility improvements relevant to cable fabrication and conductor characterization.
- Current effects at collaboration meetings, seminars, workshops and conferences and publish in refereed journals.
- Mentor learners as essential.
What is Necessary:
- Ph.D. diploma in Physics, Components Science, or associated subjects, ideally with considerable knowledge in utilized superconductivity and cryogenics.
- Shown fingers-on practical experience in getting ready metallographic samples for microscopy, working furnace for warmth-dealing with samples in a retort.
- Exceptional doing work awareness of programming in ImageJ / FIJI and VBA in Excel.
- Shown publication report in a relevant discipline and proficiency in presenting and publishing scientific effects.
- Meticulousness to the dot.
- Exceptional verbal and prepared conversation and prioritization/business capabilities.
- Means to perform independently with nominal supervision and to adhere to task timetable.
- Capability to do the job efficiently in a staff natural environment that features engineers, scientific personnel, specialists, and college students.
Extra Sought after Skills:
- Hands-on expertise with optical and scanning electron microscopy.
- Working experience in handling cryogens and in operating cryocooler and vacuum units.
- Expertise of advanced data assessment and visualization approaches, which includes device discovering and neural network-based algorithms is hugely fascinating.
The publishing shall keep on being open up until the placement is filled.
- This is a entire-time, 2 12 months postdoctoral appointment with the likelihood of renewal based mostly on satisfactory career performance, continuing availability of resources and ongoing operational desires. You should have fewer than 3 a long time of paid postdoctoral experience. Income for Postdoctoral positions is dependent on a long time of encounter submit-diploma.
- This posture is represented by a union for collective bargaining applications.
- Wage will be predetermined primarily based on postdoctoral action costs.
- This situation may be issue to a track record verify. Any convictions will be evaluated to determine if they right relate to the obligations and necessities of the situation. Having a conviction background will not immediately disqualify an applicant from being deemed for work.
- Variety, equity, and inclusion are main values at Berkeley Lab. Our excellence can only be fully recognized by faculty, students, and staff who share our commitment to these values. Productive candidates for our college positions will display proof of a dedication to advancing fairness and inclusion.
- Perform will be mainly executed at Lawrence Berkeley National Lab, 1 Cyclotron Street, Berkeley, CA.
How To Use
Apply specifically on-line at http://126.96.36.199/counter.php?id=194673 and observe the on-line instructions to entire the application procedure.
Equal Employment Possibility: Berkeley Lab is an Equal Chance/Affirmative Action Employer. All capable candidates will get consideration for employment without having regard to race, colour, religion, intercourse, sexual orientation, gender identification, countrywide origin, incapacity, age, or guarded veteran status. Berkeley Lab is in compliance with the Pay Transparency Nondiscrimination Provision beneath 41 CFR 60-1.4. Click in this article (https://www.dol.gov/organizations/ofccp/posters) to view the poster and supplement: “Equal Work Prospect is the Legislation.”
Lawrence Berkeley Nationwide Laboratory encourages apps from gals, minorities, veterans, and other underrepresented groups presently looking at scientific analysis occupations.