RICHMOND, VA. (WRIC) — Gov. Ralph Northam introduced on Wednesday night time that he has signed one more 14 charges into regulation.
Northam had until finally midnight Wednesday to act on laws passed in the course of the 2020 Typical Assembly distinctive session.
“These new legal guidelines will boost guidance for Virginia households and companies, guarantee our children and academics can securely return to lecture rooms, advance fairness, and deal with systemic racism,” Northam stated in a organized assertion. “I am very very pleased of the meaningful development we have designed to enact legislation as unprecedented as the problems we are experiencing.”
Here are the payments Northam signed:
- H.B. 1889: This monthly bill extends eviction protections for renters encountering economical hardship thanks to the coronavirus pandemic through July 1, 2022.
- H.B. 1930: This legislation prohibits community faculties and universities from inquiring about a person’s criminal file in the course of the software process, as very well as prohibits them from denying admission centered on legal historical past.
- H.B.1980: The monthly bill establishes the “Enslaved Ancestors Higher education Access Scholarship and Memorial Program” to aid the family members of enslaved folks who labored at Virginia colleges.
- H.B. 2081: The new law prohibits folks carrying firearms inside of 40 toes of a polling spot or electoral board conference to certify the results of an election.
- H.B. 2075: This renames U.S. Route 1 as “Emancipation Highway.” The roadway is at the moment named “Jefferson Davis Highway” in unique sections of Virginia.
- H.B. 2132: This new law bans the “gay panic” defense.
- H.B. 2137: The law will have to have businesses to present paid sick depart to home overall health staff and also prohibits companies from retaliating in opposition to workforce who use go away.
- H.B. 2161 and S.B. 1410: This will prohibit discrimination for community lodging, employment and housing for the reason that of a person’s army status.
- H.B. 2332: The invoice establishes the Commonwealth Health Reinsurance Plan wich is meant to extend obtain to health treatment and lessen insurance policy premiums.
- S.B. 1122: This repeals the remaining provisions of the Habitual Offender Act. This will let more than 13,000 persons to acquire driver’s licenses.
- S.B. 1138: The bill updates several criminal regulations connected to men and women dwelling with HIV and other sexually transmitted bacterial infections.
- S.B. 1261: When enacted, every civil circumstance will have an charm of right and expands the Virginia Court of Appeals from 11 to 17 judges.
- S.B. 1303: This bill necessitates all faculty divisions to supply in-human being understanding constant with general public health and fitness suggestions, in accordance with the constitutional authority of college divisions and when prioritizing the safety of learners, academics and staff members.
- S.B. 1310, H.B. 2032 and H.B. 1864: This tends to make guaranteed domestic staff are protected by employee protections, reasonable fork out regulations and the Virginia Human Rights Act.
You can discover a full record of laws signed by the governor on the web below.