Lawmakers in Virginia on Saturday authorised compromise legislation that would legalize marijuana in 2024, putting the point out a stage closer to getting the initially in the South to conclusion prohibition on the drug, the Richmond Periods-Dispatch reports.
Why it issues: The laws will make Virginia the 16th state to legalize cannabis, for every Politico. It would include to a slate of guidelines that have noticed Virginia shift in a extra progressive direction for the duration of the tenure of Gov. Ralph Northam.
- Lawmakers in the commonwealth final week approved legislation to make Virginia the first in the South to abolish the death penalty. Northam has also enacted regulations encompassing gun manage, abortion and anti-discrimination protections for LGBTQ folks.
Facts: The invoice would create a new unbiased company to control the new sector in the three-12 months time period before legalization.
- It would legalize possession of an ounce of marijuana or much less by folks 21 or more mature beginning in 2024. Retail profits would also be authorized then.
- Lawmakers chose to punt on a resolution for penalties for underage possession and unlicensed sales.
- The bill will now head to Northam’s desk. The governor has championed legislation as a racial justice problem.
The measure passed the Property of Delegates in a 48-43 vote, and the Senate voted for it 20-19. The bill bought no Republican support. Seven Democrats in the Residence and one particular in the Senate voted versus it.
- Dwelling The greater part Chief Charniele Herring (D) mentioned the legislation will “strike down and deal with institutional boundaries, around policing, about arrests and in excess of convictions of African Us residents,” per Virginia Mercury.
- The Virginia ACLU urged lawmakers to oppose the bill, indicating it did not make perception to hold the drug unlawful for three many years.